You've come to know and enjoy YYC Growers Harvest Box program. We are now going year round - WEEKLY! That's right, we will have amazing local vegetables for you year round without breaking the bank The YYC Growers' Harvest Box Program gives you fresh, local, ethical veg every week at a convenient pick-up location so you can stop worrying about what's in your food, who harvested it, and whether it'll taste good! Buy a YYC Growers' Harvest Box and get year round Fresh vegetables grown by all your new favorite Calgary-area farmers. 2019 Weekly Harvest Boxes On Sale Now! We've conveniently chunked our program into yearly quarters. But if you pay for the entire 2019 in advance, we will discount your weekly box by $2. :
50 Week - Full Program From Week of January 7, 2019 To: Week of December 16, 2019 $28.95 per week if quarterly payments are chosen - 50 weeks = $1447.50
$27.95 per week if paid up front - 50 weeks = $1397.50
Quarter 1 From: Week of January 7, 2019 To: Week of March 25, 2019 $29.95 per week - 12 Weeks = $359.40
Quarter 2 From: Week of April 1, 2019 To: Week of June 24, 2019 $29.95 per week - 13 Weeks = $389.35
Quarter 3 From: Week of July 1, 2019 To: Week of September 23, 2019 $29.95 per week - 13 Weeks = $389.35
YYC Growers' Harvest Box is a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA)-style program that is unique to Calgary. We draw from 19 farm owners, who grow in and around Calgary, that produce a diverse medley of vegetables and other crops. By drawing from 19 different farms, our customers are protected from many of the typical risks associated with CSA programs. In addition, this system allows us to offer our customers greater variety that includes specialty items like mushrooms, honey and microgreens. This is one of the most local CSA style programs in Calgary.
Winter Harvest Box FAQ
CSA stands for either Community Shared Agriculture or Community Supported Agriculture. It’s a close partnership between farms and end consumers. The Alberta Department of Agriculture defines it as this:
Community Supported Agriculture or Community Shared Agriculture (CSA) is a community of individuals or families who support a chosen farm and its family. Each individual or family purchases, in advance, a share, called a subscription, of the year’s crop. Thus, the customers become virtual partners or ‘co-producers’ in the farm, sharing risk and reward with the farm family. Throughout the growing season, each week subscribing member receives equal shares of the freshly harvested food from the farmer.Alberta Agriculture
The YYC Grower’s Harvest Box is a subscription based program. Preseason payment means farms can cover up front basic costs needed for a growing season like seed, irrigation and labour. It's a commitment on both the farm side as well as the customer side.
There is only one size of our weekly share. It is $29.95 a week. We do group the commitments to quarters so you don't have to do the whole year if you don't want to.
Winter items may include: Beets, Parsnips, Potatoes, Carrots, Radish, Lettuce, Cabbage, Mustard Greens, Bok Choy, Garlic, Basil, Frozen Saskatoons, Winter Squash, Pumpkins, Onions, Turnips, Horseradish, Collards, Sunchokes, Honey, Preserves, Microgreens, Basil, Mushrooms, Kale, Chard, Spinach, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Honey, Preserves, Sauerkraut and more.
Remember that this is Alberta and farming is hard here. Some of the crops may not work out so don't be too disappointed if something is missed. We may be able to throw in a few extra things like preserves and basil salt.
Because the winter shares are a bit trickier, we only guarantee 7-9 items a week. One item could be a 2 lb bag of potatoes or carrots, or a cabbage, or a jar of preserves.
This year we have a lot of winter choices. All pickup times are approximately 4-7pm.Wednesday
- Hillhurst Sunnyside - Farmers Market
- Bowness - Community Centre
- Aspen - Blue Door Oil and Vinegar
- Beltline - Last Best Brewing
- Crowfoot Train Station
- Marda Loop - Forage Foods
- Ramsay - The Commons
- Bridgeland - to be determined
- Westbrook Train Station
- South Foothills Industrial - YYC Growers Warehouse
Other locations maybe announced at a later date
This year we are splitting things into quarters instead of seasons.
From: Week of November 5, 2018
To: Week of December 17, 2018
$29.95 per week - 7 Weeks = $209.65
From: Week of January 7, 2019
To: Week of March 25, 2019
$29.95 per week - 12 Weeks = $359.40
From: Week of April 1, 2019
To: Week of June 24, 2019
$29.95 per week - 13 Weeks = $389.35
From: Week of July 1, 2019
To: Week of September 23, 2019
$29.95 per week - 13 Weeks = $389.35
From: Week of September 30, 2019
To: Week of December 16, 2019
$29.95 per week - 12 Weeks = $359.40
Coffee Share with Devil's Head Coffee, available in Dark, Medium and Light roast as well as Decaf. The price is lower now at $17 a week for 3/4 of a pound of their locally roasted coffee.
- Entire payment upfront
- 2 equal payments, one due upon signup and the other due the following month
- Supporting Local Economy. With you supporting local farms and local business, you are in turn helping local economy. You've heard it all about how instead of helping some CEO get a new vacation home, you're helping our farmers pay for dance lessons for a daughter, extra infrastructure on the farm, etc.
- Sequestering carbon. Well, you are aren't directly doing it but in purchasing our harvest box you are enabling us to eliminate carbon by increasing soil health.
- Fresh food. For the most part, everything that is in your box was harvested the day before you receive it. Not a week before like a lot of food that comes from California or Mexico.
- Great value in local produce. If you are used to shopping at farmers markets you'll realize that local/organic vegetables aren't cheap. Our program makes it more affordable and convenient.
- Convenience. There is no shopping that happens, you just show up with your bag, fill up your bag with your share of produce and go home. No wandering around (except if you want to shop further at our farmers market locations, which we encourage), or even money changing hands.
- Selection. Sure, some people may not like parsnips or mushrooms so we've come up with a way to allow some selection while still allowing us to grow our large selection of vegetables for you. It's called a Trade Bin. You'll be allowed to trade up to two items each week in the trade bin.
- Education. You'll learn what can be grown in Calgary, when it can be grown and we will also help you with what to do with some of those stranger items. Haven't had a Kohlrabi or Salsify before? Don't worry, we always provide a recipe in the weekly email that goes out.
- Community building. Not only will you be rubbing elbows with the people who grow your amazing food, you'll also meet others at the pickup site and other social gatherings throughout the year that share your ethical values.
"Just a little note to tell you how much I am enjoying my Harvest Box. It’s been so delightful to have fresh vegetables on hand during this very long winter. I absolutely love the little surprises: honey, pickles, sauerkraut, crabapple jelly, to name a few. I also love the pea shoots! They are delicious and so healthy. I mix them into my tuna & egg salad sandwiches. I even brought them to work to share and one of my colleagues was excited to take some home to add to his morning smoothie! Our Farmers and ranchers need to be recognized for their hard work and dedication to provide us with nutritious food. Thank you for your hard work!" "We love the beets, keep them coming. My wife has also fell in love with local garlic and refuses to buy anything imported. Thanks for introducing us to AB garlic, we had no idea what we were missing out on while supporting local farmers. "The food quality has been exceptional and the level of service has been excellent. You can certainly taste the difference in local produce versus store bought produce. I highly recommend YYC Growers." "I love our YYC Growers Box! It gave me the opportunity to easily get fresh, local produce and try new things. Some of my favourites have been the giant kohlrabi and locally made sauerkraut. Everything has been very high quality and very tasty. I've already signed up for next season's box and am excited to see what they have in store for us." "We joined the Harvest Box program through YYC Growers in 2016. I am pleased to say that it is the best money we have ever spent on food. The variety and freshness keeps our meals exciting, and we’ve learned a thing or two along the way. Anna, who oversees the Ramsay pickup is fantastic, and always smiling. She knows our kids name and asks after her. This is something you don’t get anywhere else! The emphasis on quality does not go unnoticed, and they are always happy to make a change or right a wrong. The option to add eggs or coffee to the weekly pickups is also something we’ve taken advantage of. It’s so gratifying to eat and support local. I rave about our vegetable pick ups to all of our friends and I look forward to making new things. Thank you YYC Growers, we are lifers! "I absolutely love picking up my Harvest Box every other week! I get so excited to see what I am going to get and I love all the little goodies that are added! It's been a really great way to try different brands of honey, hot sauce, preserves, etc. that I would not normally get! I also love knowing where my produce is coming from and knowing that I am supporting local, hard-working businesses! Thanks so much guys!"