You’ve come to know and enjoy YYC Growers Harvest Box program. We are currently delivering – WEEKLY! That’s right, we will have amazing local vegetables for you year round without breaking the bank. The YYC Growers’ Harvest Box Program gives you fresh, local, ethical veg every week at a convenient pick-up location so you can stop worrying about what’s in your food, who harvested it, and whether it’ll taste good! Buy a YYC Growers’ Harvest Box and get year round Fresh vegetables grown by all your favorite Calgary-area farmers. 2020 Weekly Harvest Boxes On Sale Now!
Sign up for a subscription and choose one of our convenient payment plans!
- 4 Weeks of Pick Ups (1 Month) – This renews initially when two weeks are left and then every 4 pick ups after that.
- 12 Weeks at a time – You receive a 4% discount.
- 6 Months at a time (24 weeks) – You receive a 6% discount
- 12 Months at a time (Annually -50 weeks) – You receive an 8% discount
No more quarter, no more seasons. Once you are in, you keep going until you cancel. Your payment plan auto-renews 2 weeks before expiry.
Holiday Holds – You can put a subscription on hold for as long a period as you like. There is no doubling up upon return. You just keep using your balance up.
YYC Growers’ Harvest Box is a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA)-style program that is unique to Calgary. We draw from 15 farm owners, who grow in and around Calgary, that produce a diverse medley of vegetables and other crops. By drawing from 15 different farms, our customers are protected from many of the typical risks associated with CSA programs. In addition, this system allows us to offer our customers greater variety that includes specialty items like mushrooms, honey and microgreens. As a cooperative we are owned by the farmers that grow your food. When you purchase from YYC Growers you support Alberta Farms. We also support other great Alberta farms when we need to so that you can always enjoy the most local produce we can offer as we strive to create a thriving Alberta economy.
Harvest Box Frequently Asked Questions
A Harvest Box is the YYC Growers' brand of CSA. CSA stands for either Community Shared Agriculture or Community Supported Agriculture. It’s a close partnership between farms and end consumers. We began calling ours Harvest Boxes because it is more telling of what you'll be getting in the box. The Alberta Department of Agriculture defines it as this:
Community Supported Agriculture or Community Shared Agriculture (CSA) is a community of individuals or families who support a chosen farm and its family. Each individual or family purchases, in advance, a share, called a subscription, of the year’s crop. Thus, the customers become virtual partners or ‘co-producers’ in the farm, sharing risk and reward with the farm family. Throughout the growing season, each week subscribing member receives equal shares of the freshly harvested food from the farmer.Alberta Agriculture
Since we have begun our local, year-round harvest box we hope you will enjoy our vegetables all year long. With the Farmigo system that helps us communicate and organize the Harvest box you can also place holds on your account if you know you will be away for work or on holiday with the family.
The YYC Grower’s Harvest Box is a subscription based program. Preseason payment means farms can cover up front basic costs needed for a growing season like seed, irrigation and labour. It's a commitment on both the farm side as well as the customer side.
The share is $29.95 per week. We have 4 different payment plans that can be placed on an automatic renewal system. Payment every 4 weeks/pick-ups, every 12 weeks of pick ups, every 6 months or annually. The larger the payment period the larger the savings we offer. It is our way of saying thank you to committing to us as your farmers.
Spring items may include: Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Kale, Honey, Mushrooms, Potatoes, Peashoots, Sunflower Shoots, Spinach, Herbs, Chard, Asparagus.
Summer Items may include all of the above plus: Beets, Parsnips, Carrots, Radish, Lettuce, Cabbage, Mustard Greens, Bok Choy, Rhubarb, Garlic, Basil, Green Onions, Arugula, Radicchio, Endive, Saskatoons, Kohlrabi, Zucchini, Winter Squash, Pumpkins, Onions, Peas, Beans, Peppers, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Turnips, Corn, Dill, Pickling Cucumbers, Horseradish, Collards, Sunchokes, Brussels Sprouts, and possibly other items as well.
We typically aim for 7-8 items per share. This is enough to feed a couple and maybe more than enough for a single - but we have bi-weekly options for those who are feeding one.
An item may be 1/3 pound of salad or a single squash/cucumber/bag of tomatoes.
- A payment for 4 pick ups that can renew automatically
- 12 weeks of pick ups with a 4% discount
- 24 weeks of pick ups (or 6 months) with a 6% discount
- 50 weeks of pick ups (one year) that gets you 4 free weeks of produce
- Supporting Local Economy. With you supporting local farms and local business, you are in turn helping local economy. You've heard it all about how instead of helping some CEO get a new vacation home, you're helping our farmers pay for dance lessons for a daughter, extra infrastructure on the farm, etc.
- Sequestering carbon. Well, you are aren't directly doing it but in purchasing our harvest box you are enabling us to eliminate carbon by increasing soil health.
- Fresh food. For the most part, everything that is in your box was harvested the day before you receive it. Not a week before like a lot of food that comes from California or Mexico.
- Great value in local produce. If you are used to shopping at farmers markets you'll realize that local/organic vegetables aren't cheap. Our program makes it more affordable and convenient.
- Convenience. There is no shopping that happens, you just show up with your bag, fill up your bag with your share of produce and go home. No wandering around (except if you want to shop further at our farmers market locations, which we encourage), or even money changing hands.
- Selection. Sure, some people may not like parsnips or mushrooms so we've come up with a way to allow some selection while still allowing us to grow our large selection of vegetables for you. It's called a Trade Bin. You'll be allowed to trade up to two items each week in the trade bin.
- Education. You'll learn what can be grown in Calgary, when it can be grown and we will also help you with what to do with some of those stranger items. Haven't had a Kohlrabi or Salsify before? Don't worry, we always provide a recipe in the weekly email that goes out.
- Community building. Not only will you be rubbing elbows with the people who grow your amazing food, you'll also meet others at the pickup site and other social gatherings throughout the year that share your ethical values.
“Just a little note to tell you how much I am enjoying my Harvest Box. It’s been so delightful to have fresh vegetables on hand during this very long winter. I absolutely love the little surprises: honey, pickles, sauerkraut, crabapple jelly, to name a few. I also love the pea shoots! They are delicious and so healthy. I mix them into my tuna & egg salad sandwiches. I even brought them to work to share and one of my colleagues was excited to take some home to add to his morning smoothie! Our Farmers and ranchers need to be recognized for their hard work and dedication to provide us with nutritious food. Thank you for your hard work!”
“We love the beets, keep them coming. My wife has also fell in love with local garlic and refuses to buy anything imported. Thanks for introducing us to AB garlic, we had no idea what we were missing out on while supporting local farmers. ”
“The food quality has been exceptional and the level of service has been excellent. You can certainly taste the difference in local produce versus store bought produce. I highly recommend YYC Growers.”
“I love our YYC Growers Box! It gave me the opportunity to easily get fresh, local produce and try new things. Some of my favourites have been the giant kohlrabi and locally made sauerkraut. Everything has been very high quality and very tasty. I’ve already signed up for next season’s box and am excited to see what they have in store for us.”
“We joined the Harvest Box program through YYC Growers in 2016. I am pleased to say that it is the best money we have ever spent on food. The variety and freshness keeps our meals exciting, and we’ve learned a thing or two along the way. Anna, who oversees the Ramsay pickup is fantastic, and always smiling. She knows our kids name and asks after her. This is something you don’t get anywhere else! The emphasis on quality does not go unnoticed, and they are always happy to make a change or right a wrong. The option to add eggs or coffee to the weekly pickups is also something we’ve taken advantage of. It’s so gratifying to eat and support local. I rave about our vegetable pick ups to all of our friends and I look forward to making new things. Thank you YYC Growers, we are lifers!”
“I absolutely love picking up my Harvest Box every other week! I get so excited to see what I am going to get and I love all the little goodies that are added! It’s been a really great way to try different brands of honey, hot sauce, preserves, etc. that I would not normally get! I also love knowing where my produce is coming from and knowing that I am supporting local, hard-working businesses! Thanks so much guys!”
“So many thanks!
Thanks also for this vital and challenging you work you do. I am so grateful that we can connect to our local growers and distributors. Y’all are heroes :)” -Nikki Martens