- 1 medium unpeeled garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound zucchini (about 4 medium), trimmed and cut into 2-by-1/4-inch matchsticks
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
1. Place the garlic clove on a cutting board and, using the flat side of your knife, smash the clove by pushing on the knife blade with the heel of your hand. Remove and discard the peel and set the garlic clove aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant but not browned, about 30 seconds. Remove the garlic with a slotted spoon or tongs and discard (or save for another use).
3. Add the zucchini to the pan and toss until coated with oil. Let cook undisturbed until the bottoms of the matchsticks are golden brown, about 1 minute. Toss again and cook until crisp-tender, about 1 minute more. Remove the pan from heat and season the zucchini with salt and pepper.
4. Transfer the zucchini to a serving dish and sprinkle with the Parmesan. Serve immediately.